Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 15 Kuta Lombok

Hi everyone, the last couple of days have been really relaxing. Kuta
Lombok is nothing like Kuta Bali, very quiet and a lot more surfers
but significantly less tourist.

Following my email when we first arrived, Steph and I settled into our
room, only to discover GIANT spiders! Very very fast as well. The
first one I discovered while Steph was in the shower and I debated
telling her about it. The spider was probably 4 inches across but with
a body. Not like daddy long legs either, more like dock spiders, big
hairy ones. The first I killed with a skilled flip flop throw. Steph
heard this so I had to divulge the cause the commotion. Upon seeing
the carcass of the deceased spider Steph proclaimed, "Your my hero!"
and proceeded to search the room for more of which we found 3. After a
little extermination effort on my part involving a few flip flops, a
broom and a head lamp I had killed the remaining spiders. One was
difficult. It was large enough that when it ran, it knocked over an
empty pop can. I was shocked to say the least. These heroic efforts
delivered me much praise by Steph. Similar to when I defended her from
monkeys, she was speechless by my actions. She is even speechless each
time I re-tell the tale.

We settled in to sleep a little tentative about our cheap lodging.
Tossing and turning with the feeling that bugs were crawling all over
us during the night I woke up at 3AM from my light sleep to something
brushing against my ear. I sit up trying not to wake Steph however my
stealth is not up to par after a restless sleep at 3AM. We take a
headlamp and investigate only to find a cockroach the size of my thumb
crawling around my pillow and then scurry off the bed. I took
confidence in the fact that the spiders and cockroaches seemed more
afraid of me than I of them, however I still didn't like them near me.

We woke at 7, and departed from this dangerous hotel and splurged an
extra 3 dollars for a ritzy hotel with no bugs. For my heroic efforts
I tried to get a back massage from Steph to easy my tense muscles from
the hike and a tirerless night, however she refused. My cunning was
able to get around this however by asking her to apply sunscreen to my
tomato red shoulders. A trick I have employed numerous times.

Things settled down after this first night. We rented scooters and
took off down the beach and discovered the most amazing little cove.
Across the 500m sandy perfect white beach there was only one other
couple and a few vendors. One of the vendors (his name was Andi)
selling sarongs approached us and was very nice. Instead of hassling
us, he simply started up a conversation. Eventually he persuaded us to
look at Sarongs which we bought a few (they serve as great beach
mats). Not having enough money on hand he offered to follow us into
town as we retrieved more. While Steph got money from the hotel I
chatted with him in the parking lot at which point he offered to bring
us snorking and spearfishing and invited us numerous times to his
house for coffee.

The next morning we debated his offers, was this a scam? We decided to
return to the beach either way and on our way he passed us as he was
dropping his son off at his mothers for the week at school. This made
it very difficult to say no to his offer for coffee. We followed him
500m past the beach and got to meet his entire family where his
brother climbed a tree and got us fresh coconuts to drink and eat.
Fortunately Steph and I had bought snacks for the beach we were able
to share. I think that the store bought wafers were a treat to them.
Andi the suggested we go back to the beach and go snorkling and
spearfishing. We were already headed to the beach so we agreed
thanking his wife for the hospitality.

Spearfishing was fun, however I was no good. Accidentially following a
fish to deep water and trying to get it, I shot the spear much deeper
than the water appeared then spent the next 5 minutes trying to swim
15 meters down to retrieve it. Andi had more success catching 5 fish
which he said we should come eat at his house. We tried to say that it
wasn't necessary and he took off. Only to return 30 minutes later
saying that they were ready. There was no real way out of it. Not that
we didn't want to try the food, we just didn't want to take food away
from him and his family. We arrived to fish, rice, beans, coconut all
set out and ready. We stayed there for an hour bought a few bracelets
from his friend made of seaweed and took off. It was a really amazing
afternoon. I couldn't believe how friendly he was. And he wasn't doing
all this to persuade us to buy bracelets, that was our decision since
we felt guilty eating all their food.

Yesterday was less eventful. We woke up and went surfing. The waves
were very big but it was a sandy bottom so no concern for coral
cutting us. I got tossed a few times and up a few times. I still have
a lot of work left.

Thats about it. We are headed to Sengigi today and will probably tour
around the capital of Lombok Mataram before heading back to Bali to
catch a flight to Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

Sorry I haven't been able to be on skype yet. There is internet
however no headsets.

Take Care everyone. Hopefully I will be able to come up with photos
one time soon.

1 comment:

Andrew Wight said...

Cockroach on your face! That's gross, but I guess when you're that good looking even the bugs are attracted to you. I'm enjoying reading your adventures. Sounds like you're having a good time.