Saturday, November 15, 2008

Looking forward to 2009

Its been just over a month since the marathon. My foot is still bothering me a little bit, however, I made it through the warm up and cool down of Wednesday's run without any pain. Hopefully next week I will be able to do the entire workout. I'm still taking it easy but just to keep the muscles in tact.

Progress was made today, I went for my first bike ride since mid September. We were given a fantastic day in Vancouver, overcast but NOT RAINING! 

Since we had dry roads I decided it was time I try out my biking legs again.

Due to unforeseen jobs (like switching my brakes), I was a little delayed in my ride and only got to do a short 20km ride instead of the planned 30-40k but its probably a good thing to take baby steps back into it. My right leg felt good, weak, but good. If tomorrow is clear I will try and do another ride, possibly with a little more power as well.

While I was riding today I decided that I was going to really try and keep in better shape over the winter this year than I have over the years past. Last year I took nearly 4 month of sedentary laziness. This winter I want to at least get a few hours of cardio in a week to make sure I'm not starting from scratch come spring.

I've set a few goals for the coming season, I won't describe them in too much detail because I will have a full report on that sometime in the new year, but some key points are:

Podium at a race (last season best was 9th)
Race sub 4:20 at an official distance half (last season fastest race was 4:38 when standardized to official distance). To accomplish this I will really need to work on my running and biking. I figure I can run and bike nearly 10 minutes faster each. That will really be handy.

I have more sport specific goals but I'll get to those later. 

Its going to be a hard route to get there, but the fact that my legs are feeling better shows that the climb has at least begun.

Tomorrow is the Fall Classic, a half marathon out at UBC and a few members of UBCTC are racing. I'm going to head out there and watch and cheer everyone on. Expect some photos. Lets hope for clear weather.

Take Care

No comments: