Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Weekly Updates - SCUBA!

Not all to much new. Thesis is coming along well, I have more or less finished the intro and am making good progress on the methods and results.

In other news, my friend Mike Duncan is a certified scuba instructor and this past week he taught myself and 6 others how to scuba dive!

It sounds like a simple task but we had to read an entire book along with about 20 hours of class/pool time over the span of 5 days. It was all worth it though. Over the weekend we went to Whytecliff Park and Porteau Cove and did two dives at each site. The dives were in the range of 30-40 minutes each and went to a max depth of 60 feet.

I wasn't overly excited about scuba diving before this trip and signed up for the course more because it was available and at a reduced price than because I had a passion to try scuba diving but in the end I am really glad I did. There was so much to see, it was really cool. One thing I found funny. Fish act like cats. They might let you get up close to them but you get the impression you are just really pissing them off. I kept hoping that a fish would dart away and do something impressive but instead they just moved a few inches out of reach giving me a look of hatred.


Lingcod, we saw lots of these!

In other news I head to Ironman Canada this week and depending on how that goes I may have big news next week! And no, its not that I am going to register, thats just a terrible idea for me.

Training news, I did a pretty fantastic run last night. Hopefully that means things are coming back. Now just to find time for my long runs...

3 comments:

Winstonian said...

That sounds a little fishy, considering that cats do like to eat fish...

Unknown said...

what is your big news? hope you enjoyed IMC, I had a blast.

Vincent said...

I'll get to the big news probably tonight!